What's your favorite disguise? [/meta]

posted by letter shredder @ 11:59 a.m. on 1/20/2006

"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex and sex disguised as love..."
                                          -- Lester Bangs, Almost Famous



Thursday, March 30, 2006

Getting Lei-d

posted by letter shredder at 7:13 PM


girl talk





Lei was one of my classmates in grade school. We've been in the same school since kindergarten but we only got to be in the same class until fourth grade. I haven't seen her for a while because I transferred to a science high school and eventually, we've met other friends.


And it's her birthday today!!!


How come I still remember her?


Lei and I basically had the same interests. She was one of the officers in the Pupil Council when I won president in sixth grade. Both of us took part when The King and I was staged in school and were chosen to join the volleyball team.


For two weeks, we spend two to three hours in the afternoon to run around the campus and practice. We spend our weekends giving up reading Sweet Valley or Archie's to meet coach and the rest of the team to play. Twelve were only chosen and the we're-part-of-the-volleyball-team feeling was overwhelming.


Until...


We were both pulled out from the team!


What grounds???


The municipal office sent the school a letter indicating that students born earlier than March 31, 1984, are not allowed to take part in the District Meet.


Three were disqualified from our team including Lei and me. My birthday is on (if you remember) March 13 and Lei's is on March 30. We probably cried rivers then because we were part of the mythical six. Our coach empathized with us by saying we should have held longer to our mother's womb (some empathy) and his assistant offered to falsify our birth certificates (which were then required to be submitted).


The District Meet will be held the coming week. All players were pulled out from classes and are visibly practicing on the school grounds.


I was miserable for days and the offer of the assistant coach was there to consider. I consulted my mom who knew how disheartened I was then (I go home from school with swollen eyes). Rather than telling me to accept it or not, she told me of stories of great athletes who lost titles and awards for such and such. I never imagined myself being the greatest volleyball player in town, but I REALLY loved volleyball. However, I got what my mom meant.


Of course, Lei and I gave up and let it be. Since then, I never stepped on the school's volleyball court again. I never tossed nor served the ball like I used to. Instead, I joined the basketball team.


Ever been disheartened before?


=====



I am nerdier than 65% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!




Never start a dork talk with me!

1 revealed their disguise



1 Masks: Blogger letter shredder whispered...

@chaz: want a match?
@fuzz: never been grateful... thanks a lot!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home