What's your favorite disguise? [/meta]

posted by letter shredder @ 11:59 a.m. on 1/20/2006

"Great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex and sex disguised as love..."
                                          -- Lester Bangs, Almost Famous



Saturday, January 21, 2006

Growing Up...

posted by letter shredder at 4:53 PM

before, they were just pinky promises


Last Sunday, a high school friend came to the house to return a book. Tati and I became friends when we were both picked to join the basketball team. Since we don't get together like we used to (we shared a flat when we were in college), dropping by end up in long conversations. She was with her cousins whom I've met and sometimes hang out with.


From the house, we walked to the beach (a block away) and updated each other. Later, we end up talking about our works and she asking me about business.


After she and her cousins left, I asked myself, "What the heck did we just talk about?"


Yes, we just talked about business. And knowing each other for quite a long time, that was something new for a conversation. Well, it wasn't just with Tati. It was the same with other high school and college friends.


Back in high school, my friends and I talked about dreams, guitar chords, TV shows, crushes, basketball, mitosis and meiosis, bands, ideal relationships, and the dorkiness of scientific research.


After graduation, we went to different universities and hardly saw each other again (my rants on this issue are archived in this blog).


Later, we dealt with actualrelationships, non-existing relationships, and same-sex relationships. Then came the incidents of early pregnancies. Some got married and many flew to the US. Some ended up together, others already parted ways. Some are still friends and some are no longer speaking with each other. Some friends even visit me or fetch me at the university just to talk, to drink (with me not drinking), or just meet. We even end up swimming even in the coldest of December just to meet.


Then now, we're at the stage of managing employment issues.


*sighs*


Well, looks like we're really growing up. But I'm happy coz we still get to hang out together. And each time we get to sit and talk about the old days and the mishaps that we had, I know the bond still gets stronger. And I laugh everytime they remind me that I was such a snob when we were in high school.


I bet after some more years we'll be talking about HIV (Hair Is Vanishing) problems.


I'm happy that we're still friends after all these years... even after college.


the girls and not so girls...


boys...


just crazy


Even happier that my high school friends and college friends get along well.


Are you still in touch with your high school friends?

3 revealed their disguise



3 Masks: Blogger Manzkee whispered...

Ya i'm still in touched with my High school and college best friend. I always call them from time to time, specially during special occasions. They are all there in the Phils. I missed them actually, lalo na yung mga kalokohan namin.

10:14 PM   Blogger Cala Lily whispered...

I'm not in touch with my high school friends at all, don't even feel the remenents of a connection. So many deaths, so many vast partings of the way.

But my college friends, I cherish. Even through years of silence, of distance. When we meet or talk, it's always as though something precious has reached out to me from the past to reclaim it's place in my heart.

God, I loved those people. Not just as individuals. I loved the collective identity of who we all were together. The totally of us all.

So much more than the sum of our parts.

4:52 AM   Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson whispered...

I love this post and your new layout. The photos are great.

For the most part, I am not in touch with my high school friends. There are a couple of exceptions. However, over the weekend, I was pleased to run into an old friend. I had not seen her in several years. I think we figured out that we were both pregnant with our youngest children the last time we saw each other. Interestingly, just a couple of days before, I was wondering how she was and what she was doing.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home